Friday, June 11, 2010

Cycling wisdom meant for the ages...

A couple weeks ago I went into a nationally known bicycle shop to pick up a couple inner tubes. They were sold out of 2.1" tubes so I asked the young salesperson if he had the size I needed in the back somewhere. He informed me they did not but said he was pretty sure the 2.0" tube would work with a 2.1" tire. That made sense to both of us but to be sure he said we should ask the mechanic on duty. The mechanic did indeed agree that the 2.0" tube would work but to make sure we were on the "same page" I asked if he was sure it would work even though it was a size smaller. He then gave me a "how dare you question my expertise" look and with a smirk said "Yeh! Because rubber inner tubes stretch!!!"
Get out of town! They stretch? I could feel my blood pressure climbing after being informed of this inner industry secret. I really thought this was a good question considering they normally sold the 2.1" tubes when they weren't sold out of the 2.1" tubes.
I've ran across this "superior attitude" in bicycle shops before. On another occasion at another bicycle shop the salesman was showing me a Giant Rincon. With a $500.00 price tag I told him I was surprised the fork didn't come with a lock-out. He said, in no uncertain terms, "No mountain bike in this price range comes with a lock-out..." I politely informed him that some did. As examples I pointed out that Fuji, Felt and Specialized, to name a few, all carried sub $500.00 mountain bikes with lock-out forks. I believe this threw him a little off balance because I think I could feel his blood pressure rising a little bit...
Anyway, I know these two examples of this "superior attitude" I speak of probably seem a little petty to complain about. I guess my point is, don't get discouraged when some kid at a bicycle shop talks to you as if his cycling wisdom is meant for the ages and your brain hardly meets the intellectual requirements needed to receive such information. It happens to a lot of us mere mortals, just take it in stride and try to do a little research of your own before you shop for bikes. And inner tubes...

S. Monkey
Enhanced by Zemanta