Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Klunkerz" 32 Humboldt Avenue and the "Nobelist Invention".

http://www.klunkerz.com/
Being a truck driver I spend alot of time on American highways during the wee hours of the morning. I often listen to a late night radio show called "Coast to Coast am." This show covers everything from near death experiences, ghosts, the cosmos to time travel. One night I heard an author discussing his theory on mankind's nuclear self annihilation 12,000 years ago. It's pretty far out there.. I know. Anyway this author thinks that we've done all the things we're doing now, before. I don't necessarily believe this theory but I'm pretty sure of one thing. If we've done all this before I seriously doubt that there were a group of hippie bicyclists anywhere in that time frame trying to figure out how to take bicycles down a mountain with nothing but their youth and long pants to protect them from 30 mph gravel burns.

Tonight I had a chance to watch the documentary film "Klunkerz". The simplest way to put this is, if you're a fan of riding bicycles, get this movie. If you're not a fan of bicycles, get this movie... The film is a tribute and chronicling of the events in counter culture history of the men and woman who through their love of bicycling and an acute disregard for life and limb gave birth to what we now call "mountain biking". While I'm sitting here writing this there are two things that make me a little sad. One, there are millions of bicyclist/mountain bikers who will go about the rest of their riding life' not really knowing the "Humboldt" beginnings of that gear reducing marvel we call the mountain bike that they sit on every weekend. Now that I think of it, the second thing that makes me a little sad is probably a blessing in disguise. I was going to say it's too bad we couldn't have witnessed Tom, Charlie, Joe and the rest of these guy's in their youth, flying down Mt. Tamalpais on one of today's high-end downhill mountain bikes just to see what would have happened, but now that I think about it it's probably a good thing that these guy's lived in a world of 50 pound, fat tire bicycles. It would have been kinda like giving the nuclear bomb to mankind 12,000 years ago...

S. Monkey

Go to http://www.klunkerz.com/ for more info and DVD purchase info. You can also find Klunkerz on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/

2 comments:

klunkerbill said...

Thanks very much for the kind words, Screaming Monkey Bike. I really appreciate it. For those of you in Northern California, you can see a shorter, Hi-Def version of the film on PBS in San Francisco airing on June 28th at 6:00, with subsequent rebroadcasts throughout the summer. Some of the guys...Gary, Joe, and Charlie, will be interviewed on KQED radio on June 24th during the 'Forum' program. Here's the links regarding the broadcast and a review from USA Today reiterating Screaming Monkey Bike's thoughts regarding the film...

Ride on,
Billy Savage
writer/producer/director
KLUNKERZ

KQED KLUNKERZ PAGE
http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/trulyca/episode.jsp?epid=221924
KQED KLUNKERZ TEASE
http://kqed02.streamguys.us/anon.kqed/tv/truly/episodes/501.m4v


USA TODAY

"Billy Savage's mountain bike film "KLUNKERZ" documents the wild and wooly formative years of American mountain biking. Savage's funny and
often poignant film looks at how a bunch of semi-stoned hippies in Northern California developed a unique style of off-road bike riding through collaboration and competition. KLUNKERZ is worth checking out, even if you're not a bike nut."

PAF said...

I´ve had a fine time reading your post and entering the bicyclist world. I´m fraid I´m not good at sports but I´ve always love bicycling. Thanks for inviting me to your kind space in the web. I invite you also to know about my philosophy pssion at cinesofiasvarias.blogspot.com.
We´ll keep on contact by the facebook and our blogs. A pleasure. Pablo